Monday, December 5, 2011

Regarding Copyright

  • Due to a previous copyright violation of this work, I need to comment on this subject.
  • It is most critical that those who would like to contribute to the refinement of "Nunc Licet" do so as part of the production process, being a confirmed member of the production team, and offer their contributions and perspective in the appropriate manner.   
  • I have been put in a position of needing to say this because - during the last production effort, someone took it upon themselves to re-write the entire script without my knowledge, participation or approval.  They did this by using the internet posting of the play to copy all the script and re-write it.
  • Besides being a copyright violation and plagiarism, the alterations, caused a great deal distress to myself and numerous other parties involved. 
  • I will state that the initiative shown by this person involved a phenomenal amount of energy. I am in awe of the willingness to do that, but the approach was quite inappropriate.
  • The writing was creative and well thought out, but made assumptions and alterations to the character relationships and edited the text in ways that were a blatant violation of protocol, to say the least.  Under the right circumstances, the work of this person might have been accepted to some degree, but being what it is, and having been approached in the way it was,  it became totally unacceptable.
  • I honor this person's ability, but I do not approve of their disrespect, of not only the work itself, but also of the production process and the complete trust and respect that is required between the participants. 
  • But  more specifically, their disrespect of the far greater degree of effort & forethought that went into the writer's work, for which this production effort was intended to bring to life, was shocking to me as a writer.
  • The effort on their part was a blatant violation the copyright that is and was specifically and clearly stated in the front of all copies of the script.  
  • On my part, having no idea that such a thing would happen, I am sad that I have been put in a position to reveal these events here and reiterate that this work is copyrighted and any changes or use of this material must be approved of by me. This should be understood and respected, especially by people within the new church. 
  • I beg your forgiveness that I must reveal these events here, in this way.  But I have been forced to do so by the inappropriate actions of another person.  I just hope that it ends here and I do not have to further defend my work from theft or from other infractions upon the many years of difficult effort on my part in writing "Nunc Licet" and the work of seeing this play produced as I have envisioned it.  I am completely open to alterations after that occurs, but not before.  
  • Be it understood that "Nunc Licet" took twenty-five year of my life to write and that I will defend it with my dying breath.
Arthur Greisiger

No comments: