Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Some recent thoughts

I have not been posting on this subject for some time, but just to bring some thinking up to date. We did a reading of this play at the assembly (probably posted somewhere below) and what I discovered from that process is that I need to employ the actors to implement the script fully as I wrote it.

During a reading like this, everyone has an opinion about what should be done. I was open to listening to peoples perspectives and I appreciated hearing those thoughts. But I know this much - I need to see this produced exactly as I have written it, without any adjustments. Once that is done, then I can proceed to edit if necessary.

So I have put this project on hold until I have the funds necessary to implement a full production as I have written it. All the dialogue, all the costumes and all the sets. Anything other than that is unacceptable to me, given the years I put into writing this.

Now when we did the reading, there was one participant who took it upon herself to rewrite the entire script and alter the character relationships and plot line without even so much as mentioning a desire to do so with me. Imagine the sense of invasion I had over someone doing such a thing without my permission. Well that just settled my mind even more firmly on the belief that no changes can occur until I see it done exactly as I have written it.

How I will feel about that if and when I actually have the resources to do that, may be different. But for now that is my objective with this project and I base that entirely on making enough money from The Gnomes of New Hope: Zach & Zebby's Adventure to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment